Insomnia is known as difficulty sleeping, or maybe your sleep is always disrupted by something you don’t know. But if you can remember these things from professors and doctors, you will be less annoyed by insomnia.
First is the standard of a good sleep
A sleep that is good and quality enough has to meet the following factors:
- Enough quantity: 6-8 hours / day.
- Quality assurance: when you get up, your body feels awake, refreshed, healthy and no tiredness, high productivity, no nightmares during the sleep.
The Symptoms of Insomnia
- The patient has difficulty in falling asleep (normally we only need less than 30 minutes in bed to be able to sleep)
- Sleep flicker, restlessness, or wake up during the night and have trouble sleeping again
- Wake up early (usually before 5 am and cannot sleep again)
- In worse cases, the patient is almost unable to sleep all night. During the day, he was tired, sleepy, drowsy and irritable.
- When waking up, the patient feels exhausted and headache.
Short-term insomnia (less than 4 weeks)
- Causes: Stress, Pressure, Sleep in a strange place, using stimulants, noise …
Long-term insomnia (over 4 weeks)
- Due to some diseases: arthropathy, cardiovascular disease, blood pressure, stomach …
- Due to mental illness: depression, mania, anxiety disorder, dementia …
According to experts, women after the age of 35 and men after the age of 40 often exhibit hormonal depletion in the body which lead to sleep disorders.
Habits can bring benefits
In addition to using sleeping aids, patients should have a proper diet and living regime:
- Try to go to bed and get up on time every day (get up around 5 – 7 am)
- Stop using stimulants such as coffee, tea, cigarettes, alcohol … in the late afternoon, especially before going to bed.
- Avoid sleeping a lot during the day, take a 30 – 60-minute nap in the midday only.
- Do morning exercise regularly. Do not do exercise close to bedtime (1-2 hours before sleeping) because it can stimulate your nervous system which makes it harder to fall asleep.
- 20 minutes before going to bed, soak your feet in warm water.
- Your bedroom should be airy, clean, not too hot or too cold and dark enough.
Take these as your guide to get over insomnia and find the ways to get your good and quality sleep.